Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Lenten artwork




I wrote a post about Ash Wednesday and Lent a few weeks ago, but what I didn't talk about was the art project I designed for our church. Inspired by the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, I designed this piece so parishioners can write the things they want to offer up to God during Lent on strips of rice paper, and tie them to the wire netting. Father John will then burn the prayers in the New Fire during the Great Vigil of Easter. An unforeseen (by me at least) and exciting result will be that all our worries will be reduced to ashes. Cool, yes?!

The pictures above were taken the day we installed it. In the weeks since, it has quickly filled with many pieces of tied paper, and there are more every time I see it! People are really responding to it. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it before we take it down.

2 comments:

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful xoxoxo

Ellen said...

WOW. What a beautiful, incredible idea Angela. So wonderful and moving.