Friday, June 04, 2010

Soup recipe for a sore mouth

I had gum surgery on Wednesday. I'm still sore and on meds, so painting isn't exactly happening. However, I did have success in another creative venue last night when I made dinner. I had underestimated just how sore my mouth would be and thought that soft pasta dishes would be okay, but turned out that just isn't so. After attempting some mac n cheese for dinner the other night only to have to turn to yogurt instead, I decided I should make some soup. My periodontist emphasized how important nutrition is to the healing process, so I wanted to make sure to pack as many nutrients as I could into a dish that didn't have to be chewed. The following is what I came up with. It turned out really, really good so I want to write it down here so I don't forget it.

4 cups low sodium chicken stock
about 6-7 small yukon gold potatoes, quartered
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
the leafy greens (not the stems) from 3 large beets, chopped

2 medium zucchini, sliced

1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 bag baby spinach

extra water as needed (probably about 2 cups)
salt and pepper to taste
about 1/2 cup heavy cream

Using my 5 quart dutch oven, I boiled the potatoes and garlic and beet greens in the chicken stock until very soft, adding some salt and pepper and about a cup of water

Then I added the zucchini and the beans to the pot and continued boiling until those softened, adding some water to keep the consistency from getting too thick

I followed that with the bag of spinach and cooked until wilted, then took the pot off the heat

Using an immersion blender, I pureed the soup until there were no lumps left, adjusted the seasoning, then I stirred in some heavy cream

YUM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks really good! I like the heavy cream added because you must be losing weight not being able to eat normally.

I copied this to my computer's recipe folder. Thank you for sharing

Gabrielle said...

oops, that was me that posted the above comment