Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The War of Art

color sketch: tempera/pencil/crayon

“The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.” –Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

As I said in my last post, I am giving blogging another try. Kind of at a a loss as to where to start. I guess I’ll just start with where I am.

It’s a familiar place, one I’ve been to many, too many, times - stopped in my tracks by Resistance.

A couple of weeks ago, I let down my guard and I caved to Resistance: that lying voice whose purpose is to keep the artist from doing her work, and which sounds only too reasonable once it gets hold of your insecurities and fears. As a result, I only managed to get to my studio one time in over two weeks! Of course, the longer I was away, the worse I felt and the harder it was to go back.

Finding myself unable to combat this bout of Resistance on my own, I turned once again to the book that taught me to call it that in the first place, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield. What a lifesaver this book has been! I was lucky enough to get an advance reading copy of it when I was still a bookseller about nine years ago, and I turn to it again and again as I traverse this strange path I’ve chosen.

When I was only about 20 pages in, I could already feel myself getting stronger, and I knew I’d be back in the studio in no time. (Which I am!) It also made me realize that not only is Resistance holding me back in the studio, it’s keeping me from getting really serious about putting my work out there. I’ve let it stop me from setting goals for myself, and from truly treating my art as a career.

That stops now.

Since I’ve decided to blog at least twice a week this month (a goal!), you’ll be hearing about how I’m working toward achieving this. I know I’m not the only person struggling with Resistance - everybody does. It’s my hope that by sharing my journey, I can help others too.

Peace,
Angela


No comments: